Process - Eldar
The beginning of the process for any piece is pretty much the same. A brief on the scene, story, character, then a series of rough sketches done until one is chosen. Clean up of line art, and then base values placed before building the image up. This was one of my early pieces, and many lessons were learnt finishing this.
Process - the bride
This was a commission for a wedding present. The full piece has the bride and groom facing each other from the opposite sides of the page, but for the sake of space, only the bride is shown here.
The early concept, as seen on the left, was to have the bride's portrait inside the shadowed outline of the groom, and vice versa for him.
This was altered after the value phase due to time restraints and it not looking "quite right".
Process - Space Marine
This was a commission for a Twitter header for the Blood Angels, Death Company (strategy game).
The pose and concept of this piece came quite quickly, again, starting the same way. Rough concept idea, clean up of the line art, and any alterations to pose/composition are easier to change at this time. Base colours followed, then build up of the layers. Whilst this image was fairly simple, I did overlook the fact that I'd left some large black borders on various sections of the image.
This was the first time I had done an image like this. It is often said that "You don't learn during drawings, you learn in-between drawings." (Quote: Ken Lashley)
Process - Spitfire
This image was the first time I looked at drawing a military vehicle, or a vehicle of any kind for that matter. The idea was 'Spitfires on patrol', but with this being my first vehicle, I decided to keep it simple by only drawing one Spitfire and focussing my attention on the detail.
After finishing the concept I decided to focus entirely on the Spitfire itself, forgoing the background for the time being. I checked out a few different tutorials in 'ImagineFX', got a few inspirational ideas from Pinterest, and felt that I should go with a blocking method on the aircraft, single colours in long lines of various shades. This kept things simple for me and once the plane was done I started blending the colours together using a rough brush, because it adds a natural texture to the image.
This image was done in greyscale first, before I added a colour layer after. The sky was actually done a bit later than I originally intended, and as a result I ended up changing the tint to match the sky.
The result is a dirty, grimy feel to the aircraft.
Usage of contents and images is only permitted with written permission, all content Copyright © David Oakes, unless otherwise stated.